As promised I did start renovating the dresser, however, I am no where near finished. The weekend just isn’t long enough!
This is how far I got. It took me absolutely ages to take out all of the hard wear because whoever had put them in had cleverly bent some of the screw heads. But after a lot of pulling, tugging and fiddling I managed to take out every screw, hinge and door handle. I even managed to remember to put them safely in a small bag to keep them safely together. After that I set to work sanding down the top of the dresser. This is the bit that I want to leave unpainted and coat it in a clear varnish to keep it as natural as possible.
I used a medium grit sandpaper on my Bosch Palm Sander that I was lucky enough to inherit off of my parents after they had finished sanding down their live aboard narrow boat. But even with the help of this nifty devise it still took a lot of work and a lot of arm ache. As you can see from the photo there are patched on the top that are slightly darker than the rest of it due to some of the stain still being on. THIS NEEDS TO COME OFF! I also need to do all the edges of the top. This bit I am a little nervous about doing because if I use the palm sander I could easily sand too much off and make it uneven and unrounded, but if I hand sand the edges it is a lot of hard work…hmmmmm.
In terms of finished product I would love to line the drawers (see below) with lovely bright wallpaper. It would provide a spot of colour and cheerfulness each time I opened the drawer. I would love for the inside to be just as beautiful as the outside.
In terms of the outside finished product I want it to be decorated like the picture below. The off white colour combined with the pine varnished top gives it a warm clean feel while the blue of the back makes it quite a quirky piece of furniture. I love the blue but I am unsure as to whether I will paint the inside blue. I am a little bit worried that when we do eventually get around to decorating the hallway that it won’t co-ordinate. It’s something that I need to think about. I guess I can always change it if need be.
This is the biggest project I have undertook but hopefully it will look good once it has been done. Fingers crossed.