Here is the before photo:
It looked drab, dreary and very old fashioned. It didn’t go with anything else in the house but for a while I was just too scared to even attempt to paint it…what if it went wrong? Well, it took well over a year but I eventually found my backbone and just went for it and I am so glad I did! I LOVE THE RESULT!
I started by taking off all of the hardware and took the doors and drawers out. It just isn’t a good look to have paint splattered hinges and door handles.
Next I completely sanded down the top to the original wood. This was hard work and I have definitely discovered arm muscles that I never knew I had. After this I then lightly sanded down all sides of the dresser, the drawers and doors. This helps the paint to stick. After this I then had to use a clean cloth and white spirits to clean off every speck of sawdust.
Thanks to my amazing husband to be’s Christmas present last year I have a brilliant paint gun, which allows me to paint (using any type of paint) at a quicker speed that with a paint brush and with a much better finish. Originally the aim was to get the flawless finish with the paint but as I started to sand down one of the coats of paint I fell in love with the the distressed look, so I decided to not put another coat on and leave it be. I completed the look of my dresser by coating the sanded down top with bees wax. I didn’t want varnish as this would give it a shiny finish which would be quickly scratched by keys. As it is sitting next to the front door it is highly likely that it will have keys on it at some point.
I know need to work out what and how to store things on it. It definitely needs some dressing up.
It also takes point number 1 off of my house related to do list, WAHOO! Onto the next project…