Just getting ready for a spot of DIY

Hopefully this will be the first of many housey DIY projects…fingers crossed. It’s also number 2 on my Top Ten Project List that I started way back in November. The aim of this DIY project? To turn my cupboard under the stairs turn junk room back into the pantry of my dreams! A place where I can store all the lovely bulk bought bargains (such as baked beans and chopped tomatoes) with the intention of becoming more money efficient.

However, before any kind of DIY can commence it has got to be cleared out. Back in November when I started my project list it was pretty clear…

November

November – I must have been so organised!

Scroll forwards 4 months and after being used as a ‘what shall I do with this? I don’t know let’s just hide it in here’ cupboard it now looks like this…

So after many hours of emptying, sorting out and asking myself “do I really need to save this?’ over and over again my little cupboard under the stairs but soon to be amazing pantry of my dreams looks like this…TA DA…empty!

My Empty Pantry

My Empty Pantry

After clearing it out the hope was to get the cracks filled in, paint it a lovely light colour that isn’t white, install good quality shelves and find and install some sort of storage unit to hang on the door. I am also considering some sort of wheely shelving unit to wheel in and out of the cupboard. This was going completely to plan until it came to taking all of the hooks and screws at of the wall. It was at this point that our theory that the previous owners were complete dunces at DIY was confirmed. What confirmed our theory?? The fact that they GLUED hooks to the wall instead of screwing them in!!!

Who glues hooks to a wall???

Who glues hooks to a wall???

This meant that when it came to taking them off of the wall it also took off the plaster, meaning that no longer was it acceptable to just fill in the holes and the cracks. We now need to plaster it…GRRRRRR! I can’t tell you how frustrating that is. So, now we wait for the return call of several plasters. If it all goes to plan this is hopefully something similar to what it will look like at the end…fingers crossed

 

Advertisements

Just Call Me The Drilling Queen!

I HAVE USED THE DRILL! I managed to tick number three off of my To Do List and hang up both mirrors over the two fireplaces…YAY! The first one was pretty simple because of it being able to rest most of it’s weight on the fireplace and it not really needing any special fixings.

Mirror Number 1

The second one was a little bit trickier because of it being a really heavy mirror. Having never hung anything heavier than the typical picture (the mirror weighs between 10-15kg) I asked for the help and guidance of my dad. I did have an idea of what I needed but sometimes it just helps having someone there that knows what they are doing. So off we set for B&Q and picked up some heavy duty picture wire and heavy duty Picture Fixings designed for heavy pictures/mirrors. Then it was just a matter of using the drill to drill holes into the brickwork. It turns out that the hammer function on the drill makes it so much easier.

Mirror Number 2

I felt really empowered using the drill. I cannot wait to have to use it again! In the meantime I thought I would share a couple of pictures of me using it. Just to prove that it was me doing it.

Me drilling

Ignore the holes below, one of them was my practice hole where I worked out whether I had the right drill bit, screw and wall plug and the other one is what the previous owners left behind. When it comes to redecoating these will get filled in.

Me appreciating my handiwork